Tuesday 5 August 2014

Ready, Steady, Glasgow!

Last week was like a wonderful whirlwind.
Our dear friend Leslie of The Dandy Lion Market came up from London for a wee break and Mark and I both volunteered at the Commonwealth Games.
I did two days at the swimming events at the Tollcross International Swimming Centre here in Glasgow and Mark went across to do a day at the diving events held in Edinburgh.
We managed to cram a whole heap of fun stuff into seven days and enjoy the buzzing vibe of positivity that the streets of Glasgow have been awash with during the eleven days of the games.
I absolutely loved being a part of the games and even if the days were pretty long, starting at 7.30am and finishing off at around eleven at night, we had an absolute blast.
Here I am with Chris, Tom and Chris outside Aquatron.
We all got kitted out in the official games volunteering clobber.
The events passed without incident so I didn't actually have to don my scuba gear and get in the water.
One of the judges accidentally dropped a pen in the pool but we were not called upon for that as it was quickly retrieved by a lifeguard.
The Australian team were amazing and swam home a motherload of medals.
Sadly there were no Scottish gold medals won on the two days I was there, so I never got to hear Flower of Scotland.
Personally I prefer this version with Kenneth McKellar...
Gie it Laldy!

It was billed as The Friendly Games and it truly was.
I haven't been in a place filled with so much positivity since the last time I went to a rave.
I would do it again at the drop of a hat!
I think it was a perfect time for Leslie to enjoy Glasgow too, even if Mark and I had to work a lot.
We still managed to have the obligatory drunken night out, visit the Gallery of Modern Art, a funky Pam Hogg exhibition/pop-up shop and a wee trip to the seaside.
Leslie and Mark at The Crystal Palace where we also hooked up with some visiting relatives from down south.
Matt & Leslie battled it out with cues at The Solid Rock Cafe.
Leslie with Clyde at Central Station.
The Pam Hogg exhibition and pop-up shop.
A wee trip to Irvine Beach Park.
It's all back to business as usual for a few days now before we head off for another adventure.
This summer has got to go down as one of the best ones in my life so far, I am loving every minute of it!
I will love you and leave you with an amazing tune that is having me dancing around the house at the moment and lusting for a pair of red jazz trainers...
Hope you are all well peeps.
Loads of love,
Jennie
xXx


8 comments:

hippyatheart said...

Never have been there, but I bet it's fun!

HIPPY AT HEART ///

Leslie Wilson-Rutterford said...

An amazing bit of serendipity getting to visit you and Mark, and Glasgow, with the Commonwealth games buzz. You guys were too cool getting to volunteer for the games. Such great pics and memories! Thanks once again for your enormous hospitality, fun times and some well needed peace and quiet for me, from my chaotic life in London. Love the video and track-fab!! Love you guys!! xxx

Ewa said...

All the best to you my darling Mermaid daughter! A wonderfull blogg!

Mamma

Panty Buns said...

Flower of Scotland is a pretty song. Well done you on your service, being at the ready to come to the rescue if needed at the Commonwealth Games. It looks like everything went swimmingly well. I love the photos. The Gallery of Modern Art, Pam Hogg Exhibition and seaside trip all look interesting and like fun to visit. I love that stone sculpture.

http://www.full-brief-panties.blogspot.com/

Connie Staccato said...

You look official and efficient. And happy. Someday I will come to Glasgow and we will have an obligatory drunken night out!

Connie Staccato said...

P.S. I'm going with The Corries.

Frocktasia said...

Yay, for obligatory drunken nights out and just so you know you are welcome any time ;)
I do love the original version by The Corries but that old frood is just so marvelously expressive and he is totally Gie'in it Laldy!xxx

Indigo Violet said...

I've just seen a film set in Glasgow (God help the girl) - a must see. Especially if you like Belle & Sebastian.